Sunday, January 8, 2012

Gingery Goodness

I was in a domestic mood the other day, and made these delicious cookies. They are my husband's absolute favorite, his mom's Gingersnaps. I had never made them before, but for my first try, I think they were really yummy. Don't they look delicious?



I have no idea where she found the recipe, but she has been making them forever.Here is her recipe:

Ginger Snap Cookies
2 cups flour
1T ground ginger
2t baking soda
1t ground cinnamon
1/2t salt
3/4 cup shortening
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1/4 cup molasses
sugar for rolling

Set the oven to 350
Measure the 1st five ingredients. Sift them 2 times and then return them to the sifter.
Cream shortening in a medium bowl. Add sugar gradually and beat well. Beat in eggs and molasses. Sift 1/4 of the dry ingredients into the wet mixture and blend. Continue until all the dry ingredients are blended.
Take teaspoonfulls of dough and form into small bowls by rolling gently between palms. Roll the cookies in sugar to coat the entire outside.
Place 2 inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheets. Bake 12-15 minutes until tops are slightly rounded, crackly and lightly browned.
*** According to my mother in law, the key to these cookies is to take them out when they are crackly but still puffy. Then you get a soft and chewy ginger cookie.

It is worth the extra time to sift these cookies. It keeps them light and chewy. I hope you try these favorite's of my hubby. Thanks for hanging out with me today :)

A la prochaine...

Michelle

2 comments:

Kimberly said...

I make these every year...TWICE...my first two batches go like hotcakes...and by the time Christmas gets here they are gone and i have to make more for the company....i'm gonna have to hid them next time..i say that every year...hmmmm..tfs
www.justwordz.ca

Cindy said...

Ohhhh these look yummy!! :)